Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sixth Grave on the Edge

Few things in life can come between a grim reaper and her coffee, but the sexy, sultry son of Satan is one of them. Now that Reyes Farrow has asked for her hand, Charley Davidson feels it's time to learn more about his past, but Reyes is reluctant to open up. When the official FBI file of his childhood abduction lands in her lap, Charley decides to go behind her mysterious beau’s back and conduct her own investigation. Because what could go wrong?

Unfortunately, another case has fallen into her lap—one with dangerous implications. Some very insistent men want Charley to hunt down a witness who is scheduled to testify against their boss, a major player in the local crime syndicate. If Charley doesn't come up with an address in 48 hours, the people closest to her will start to disappear. 

Add to that a desperate man in search of the soul he lost in a card game, a dogged mother determined to find the ghost of her son, and a beautiful, young Deaf boy haunted by his new ability to see the departed as clearly as he sees the living, and Charley has her hands full. The fact that Reyes has caught on to her latest venture only adds fuel to the inferno that he is. Good thing for Charley she's used to multi-tasking and always up for a challenge…especially when that challenge comes in the form of Reyes Farrow.

In this latest installment, you are tossed back into the fun world of Charley Davidson and her hotter than hell boyfriend, Reyes. (*SWOON*) Some very important things come to light in this book and Kristyn and I decided to take a moment to discuss this points. SPOILER FREE, of course! 


What utensil would you be?


"Oh," I said after he set our plates down, "I forgot to ask you. If you were a utensil, what would you be?"

He took hold of my chin and lifted my face to his. "I have a feeling a machete and a spork can work very well together."

"Because I'm versatile. I can multitask like nobody's business. And I like the way it sounds. It's so...sporky."

Catherine: I think I would be a set of Tupperware or a pair of chopsticks. You can NEVER go wrong with Tupperware. It's microwavable and has stood the test of time. And chopsticks, you can eat with them AND put your hair up with them!!! 


Kristyn: I have given this lots of thought since reading this book and I just cant think of anything I would want to be. I do love Catherines answer of chopsticks. I wish I would have thought of it first! Does it have to be an eating utensil? is there any other type of utensil? How about a grater. That seems like it fits me.

With the proposal of the century (in the last book!) on a classy post-it, if they ever get married - where do you think they would get married? What would it be like?

"I decided to stick with my coffee. We loved each other, Joe and I. We would have a quiet wedding on a beach with only a few friends present, and I would be secretly praying for a blender. Surely someone would get me a blender."
Catherine: I imagine the two of those crazy kids getting married at the bar. Would Charley wear white? Nope. Who would walk her - Ubie or her Dad? I know Cookie would be her Maid of Honor. Would Mr. Wong show? There'd be coffee and beer. Cheez-Its too. And I am sure the cake would be HUGE. Lots to take home. Maybe themed! Oh, I hope we get to see a wedding. I can't imagine how Darynda would write the wedding of the century. This is bigger than a royal wedding!
"Do you think if I lived on Cheez-Its and coffee alone, I'd ultimately starve to death?"

Kristyn: I could actually see them eloping. Or kind of like a reverse shot gun wedding. well, not that she would have to be forced but I could imagine him kidnapping a priest and saying something like, 'Marry me now." Everyone would already conveniently being there watching it all go down. I mean why not? He took out her bedroom wall for crying out loud!

What was the moment that you fell even more in love with Reyes in this book? I know, I know. Reyes is a swoon-worthy son of Satan, and there were TONS. What is your favorite moment?

Catherine: Simple. 
With one corner of his mouth tipping sensually, he asked, "Want some coffee?"
And I fell.
I fell hard.
Me too Charley. Me too! Without saying anything more than YES or NO (no spoilers!) Kris, do you think Charley can handle decaf? If I were to hashtag that moment, my status would read something like #impressed
Kristyn: I did mention that he took out her bedroom wall, right?

What are your thoughts on Cookie's crush on Ubie? 

Catherine: I'll be honest. This is odd to me. I love Ubie and I love Cookie. I just hope it doesn't change the Charley and Cookie dynamic, you know? I will say his reaction to the last attempt was HILARIOUS. I love that Charley was the victim. Made me giggle out loud! 
 
Kristyn: Im glad something was finally done about this! I love how awkward cookie is around him. It did seem like a lot of this books focus was on their relationship

Thoughts on Charley's Dad jumping ship?

Catherine: I think he is dying. Or running from the law. Or sold his soul to the devil. Oh hell, I have NO clue. I know he is lying. I just don't know why. 
 
Kristyn: I have NO clue what is going on with her dad. But what I did find super strange is that his lying was just kinda brushed off. Why did we not learn more about this? Why was this kinda not made into a big deal? I wanna know!

If you could choose one character to have Darynda pen a spin-off with; who would it be?

Catherine: Swopes! Garrett is such an ass and I love it! I think he has a really interesting story to tell. 
 
Kristyn: I think it would be really cool to have  spin off with the runaway biker gang. I miss them and wonder what happened. Did they escape from the law? Does he think about that kiss him and Charlie shared? I hope we see them again someday.

Words on Wong?

Catherine: Kris and I have discussed this man a LOT. More than my dear Reyes this book. (He has his hands a little full with Charley right now!) Mr. Wong leaves me a little wordless. I know he has an important part in Charley's life - I just can't figure out what. And believe me, it is frustrating. 

Kristyn: I keep going around and around with this. Is he some type of warrior angel? Some type of protector? Is he bad and has been in her living room this whole time spying on her? This man/being/whatever he is bugs me more than anything else! I want this mystery solved!

Final Thoughts?/Favorite Lines

Catherine: I think this series is wrapping up. I feel like we were given a LOT of information and unanswered questions in this installment. I think it is all leading up to the end of the series. This would make me very sad, but having read how she ended her YA trilogy, I have no fear that this woman knows JUST  how to end it for us insane fans. 
 
"It's a beautiful day. I think I'll stick my meds and stir things up a bit."
 
"You could be like the demonic version of Dexter."

"Yeah, never bungee jump. Reality isn't the only thing that hits you in the face."
 
"I would expect nothing less from the son of evil incarnate. He's a good guy."
 
"The smile he wore could've charmed the panties off a nun."

Kristyn: This one, I have to admit, wasn't my favorite. Not that I didn't like it, cause I totally did. Just so many unanswered questions. so much nonchalance about weird things, and so many brushoffs. I want answers! Then toward the end, it got really good. I hate when a series ends, but like Cat, I see it coming.
 
My favorite scene from the book...
“Reyes. Alexander. Farrow," I said.
Seconds after I spoke his name, Reyes walked into his bedroom, and I looked across the open space directly from my room into his.
He waited for me to continue.
"I feel like there's something missing from my bedroom."
A dimple appeared at the corner of his mouth. "You don't say."
"Any idea what that might be?"
He glanced around my room as well, then shrugged. "I can't imagine."
"Oh, wait," I said, stepping from my room into his, "wasn't there something here? Like, I don't know, a wall or something?"
He looked up. "You could be right. I do seem to remember a barrier of some kind here."
"Yep," I said, stepping closer, "I definitely remember a partition separating our apartments." When his only response was a mischievous tilt of his full mouth, I asked, "Where did you put my wall?"
He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against his doorframe. "What makes you think I took it?"
"It was there this morning."
"And that means I took it? Maybe you just misplaced it. Where exactly did you see it last?"
I pressed my lips together. "You tore down my wall."
The smile he wore could've charmed the panties off a nun. Completely unrepentant, he admitted, "I tore down your wall.”
 
 
 
 
Me and Cat give this a 4 star!!

Show the author some love!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment