Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Nerd's Dozen: Cynthia Sax

  • Today we welcome Cynthia Sax to the Book Nerd's Dozen!
  • On to the Book Nerd's Dozen...

1) Waiting in line at Starbucks, what are you ordering? What name do you give?

Cynthia Sax: I'm a chocolate gal so a tall hot chocolate for me, no whipped cream or any of that fancy stuff. (grins) My name is Nutella. When they call that, the chocolate lovers FREAK out.

2) Who was your first book boyfriend?

Cynthia Sax: Davy Crockett (the cleaned up, kid friendly version of him) won my schoolgirl heart. How could he not? He was the "King of the Wild Frontier." I, of course, thought that meant he had riches and minions and a big fancy house. He also had that coonskin cap. What young girl could resist a man who wears a dead rodent on his head? Not me. He had me wrapped around his rifle from the first page.


3)
Last song you couldn't get enough of?

Cynthia Sax; While writing Sinful Rewards, I must have listened to Lana Del Ray's Ride a zillion times. The grittiness and emotion in her voice gets to me every time and the song really encompasses the biker lifestyle.

4) At this very moment, do your socks match?

Cynthia Sax: Socks? (looks down t feet) What socks? It's summer. That means bare feet, baby. Gotta let those toes breathe. Free the tootsies.

5)Dog-earring: Okay or unforgivable?

Cynthia Sax: I support a dog’s right to wear whatever he or she wishes. If a tough­looking rebel pug wants to wear a silver skull and crossbones earring in one ear, I support him. If a terrier wishes to wear a pink bow on her head, I'll stand behind her (or rather before her, taking cute photos to post on Facebook). Freedom of dress for dogs everywhere!

6) What is your super power?

Cynthia Sax: Air Supply might make love out of nothing at all. I make silliness out of 
vapor. Life is too short to be serious. Thankfully, my very talented editors edit most of my horrendously bad jokes out of my stories.
7)Dog person or cat person?

Cynthia Sax: I haven’t yet mastered the art of shifting but if I did, I’d definitely choose being a cat person. I'm not a big fan of saying hello by sniffing another being's hindquarters. I also like the unpredictability of cats. I'd ignore people just for the heck of it. Pretend I don't know the people I've been living with for decades. Walk away in the middle of conversations. Cats really mess with people's heads and i love that about them.

8) Nickname?

Cynthia Sax: My dear wonderful hubby calls me Princess Pumpkin Pie. I joke that this is 
because I'm round and orange (in boring reality, I'm pale as Casper the Friendly Ghost). I'm definitely a Princess. I did my share of roughing it while growing up. I'd prefer not to do any more. Many reading buddies also call me Cyn. (looks innocent) I don’t know why.


9) If you had to leave one piece of advice for the next generation, what would it be?

Cynthia Sax:  One of my life mottoes is “If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up 
too much space." Be brave. Do things you've never done before. Go places you've never gone (that sounds like a bad Star Trek episode, doesn't it? LOL) If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. Embrace your differences. Yes, you might fail but failure isn't the worst thing that can happen to you. Never trying is much more tragic.

10) Tell us about your best author fangirl moment! (Either one you had or someone had with you?

Cynthia Sax: You’re going to make me tell the Officer Drake story, aren’t you? (takes a 
deep breath) Writers receive surprisingly little reader mail (email or messages or anything) and every piece is precious to us but some reader mail is absolutely priceless. One of the first emails I received was from a wife of a retired police office. Her hubby, the former police office, was in the hospital, his condition serious. He was accustomed to being active and being bedridden was very tough for him so she would read him funny sexy stories to distract him. One of the stories she read was Badge Bunny, my humorous erotic romance between a genetically enhanced super cop and a bunny shifter. The two of them laughed and laughed. Unfortunately, her husband passed away but she told me whenever she sees the cover for Badge Bunny, she remembers his laughter and those last happy moments with him. 
Yeah, waterworks time. THIS is why I write.

11) Are the men in your stories your ideal? Do you write them based off of someone?

Cynthia Sax: The men in my stories are often very broken. Yes, some of them (like Blaine 
in He Watches Me and Nicolas in Sinful Rewards) are billionaires and having that level of wealth is definitely a fantasy of mine, but they're a bit messed up. There's a reason they haven't already fallen in love. 

I suppose I must base my characters off of someone. I often compare writing to dreaming. Dreams come from our own brains yet we have little control over the characters appearing in them, what they look like or what they do.
12) Now this one is important... do you return your buggy to its proper location after grocery shopping?

Cynthia Sax: I’m a sharer. I like to hand my buggy off to someone else. I know the buggy works well, the wheels are turning properly, and it is clean. The busy toddler-toting mom or harried woman in a navy blue suit I give my cart to usually appreciates that I've done all of this testing for her.

And for the final question...

13) Can you leave us fans with a juicy tidbit? A secret? (WE WON'T TELL!) A pet peeve?

Cynthia Sax: I love both Nicolas and Hawke, the two possible heroes in Sinful Rewards, 
and I cried when Bee made her choice. It was the right choice. I'm one hundred percent certain of this but it still hurt because the other man... OMG... he is so deserving of love also. It was emotionally crushing to him and to me. This is why I rarely write about love triangles. They are soul destroying. I have to find a woman for him as soon as I possibly can.

2 comments: