Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Spider by Jennifer Estep


17571671
                                                                                   
Excerpt
For the first time, the origins of Gin Blanco’s career as the deadly assassin “the Spider” are revealed in full. In a story that pre-dates the other nine books in the series, Gin Blanco goes through her paces to become the most feared assassin in the Ashland.

This book got some mixed reviews. I for one really enjoyed it. I love Gin. She is one of my top five kick ass female leads. she had such a horrible past and this book went back years to tell  story of how one event probably changed her whole life and helped her to become the person she is today.

I loved that we got to see her training. We got to see Fletcher again. We got to see her be a kid who makes mistakes that she would never make in the presence. We got to see her learn to have the patience that her spider name is supposed to represent. What I loved the most is meeting the people that are in her life now for the very first time. 


"Her?" Finn asked, his voice taking on an offended, incredulous note. "She looks like she's fifteen at most. That's way too young for me, Gin. I do have some standards, moral and otherwise." He paused and glanced at the girl again. "Maybe in ten years or so. When she's all grown up."


We got to see Finn how he was before as well. Just an intern at a bank but still a huge flirt. I love him.

"You know, one day, you're going to meet a girl who won't automatically fall in love with you or be immediately seduced by your so-called charm," I snipped. "I just hope that I'm around to see it happen, when the ego of the mighty Finnegan Lane gets the bruising and beat-down that it so richly deserves."


"Take care," Owen finally said.
"Yeah. You too."
He waved at me. "Until we meet again."


I nodded my head politely at Roslyn. "Ms. Phillips, so nice to meet you."
She tipped her head back at me. "And you too Gin. I'm sure we'll meet again."

What I hated the most is that I knew what was going to happen. I was hoping with everything I had that I would be wrong. It hurt me on her behalf. I was heartbroken. I felt like a person in her life watching it all unravel but not saying anything because she wouldn't have listened anyway. You hope you are wrong but know you are not. Bad things are what make you stronger and mold you to who you are meant to be and I saw that in this book. I saw the connections to who she was and how this made her who she is.

A great book, in my definition, makes you feel. Really feel. Like the characters are your friends and when they are upset, you are upset. When they are nervous, you are super nervous for them. When they are in a tight spot, you are on the edge of your seat crossing your fingers and praying that they and everyone that they and you both love, get out okay. This book delivered on all fronts.


 
 

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment