Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Make Me Crazy

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was born and raised in Southern California. Beaches, surfboards and all that jazz. I loved it, don't get me wrong, I just wished I could ride horses all day, I adore country music and something about a Southern boy drawl with his "Yes Ma'ams" just suckers me EVERYTIME. Now, I have been living in Mississippi for almost 8 years, and I could do smaller. Montana, maybe. The mister would never go for it. He is a big city guy. These reasons and many more are why I love Codi Gary and her books. She brings you into Small Town, U.S.A. And all its quirks and charm come alive in her words. Rock Canyon is the perfect example. But, then I go and visit Loco, Texas and I am in awe all over again at the talent Codi possesses to paint such a vivid picture with her words.

When you get to Loco, Texas you meet all the fun townsfolk. There's Earl who nobody goes around, except Rand who is oddly friendly with him, as he is with her. You will often find Rand hanging with her 2 best friends: Red and Jake. They have been friends for over 20 years. Drinking beers, movie nights and cracking jokes. Red's sisters are a riot. The Momma's will smack you upside the head if you act out in church, and Heaven's forbid you use His name in vain. A sudden death of the only family Rand has close leaves her in a pickle. According to her Granddaddy's will, the ranch she was raised at and put her blood, sweat and tears into will go into the hands of her cousin unless she marries within 3 months. What was her Granddaddy thinking? Rand doesn't want to marry. Heck, she doesn't even date. When word gets out about her predicament, all the single men come a calling. That ranch is a pretty penny in the eyes of her potential suitors. Only problem with that, she isn't willing to give that up. Her lifelong friend (and town hussy!) Jake helps her when she sets her sights on the only male in town that sparks her interest."He squeezed her close. 'Only okay sometimes? I'm awesome all the time." The new town vet. What better way to catch the eye of another man than to appear unavailable while on the arm of the town hottie? "He lost the deer in the headlights expression and flashed a sheepish grin. 'I'm not narcissistic; I'm just self-aware."

This book reads like one of those romantic comedies that I always force my husband to watch with me. Just the right amount of heat, humor and tugs of the heart strings. Plus, Codi knows how to make her supporting cast of characters so likable that you find yourself proposing your ideas for their own stories to the author. (SORRY!)

Miranda "Rand" Coleman is full of sass, and the last person anyone looks to as sexy. When Jake enlists the help of Red's sisters to help make her more ladylike, he feels sparks. Does she feel them? What is happening? She is stubborn and just one of the guys. Why is she suddenly charming? "I don't know what you've been told, but you have as much charm as an armadillo's backside."

The walk down this aisle is one filled with fights, drunken stupors and several smacks upside the heads from some loving Mommas. "'I was sick, Mom. Rand's been taking care of me out at her place. And besides all that, you do know I'm a grown ass man?' 'Of course I do! Doesn't mean I won't kick your ass up one side and down the other id you ever scare me like that again.'" Throw in a pleasure party, a penis cake, a romance novel from an unlikely author, an ALMOST ticket for lewd acts ("No ticket tonight but do us all a favor. Keep it zipped until you get home. Or park somewhere.") you have a great read!
My favorite quote of this book! The grand,
romantic gesture! 


Now, for a few more of my favorite quotes, and teases...

"Miranda Coleman, that was downright romantic."

"Love makes even the worst situations bearable, Jake."

"Suddenly, sleep seemed a little over-rated when she had six foot plus of hot Texas male in her bed."


You won't be disappointed with this love story! And as always, let's show our girl SOME LOVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment